I think this is probably my favourite video of the year - it's Miami Vice meets Twins meets soft-porn intros. Directed by Luci Schroder, Sydney's own Donny Benét aka "the most famous disco accordion/jazz bassist of the 21st century" has made the perfect visual equivalent for his sleazy, karaoke-style take on 80's R&B.
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard is the greatest name of any garage band ever. This is not an opinion but a scientific fact. Look it up on wikipedia or something. Anyway, this 7 piece surf/psych/garage band from Melbourne is as bad ass as their name, as evidenced by their debut EP Willoughby's Beach, which they've described as "music to rob banks to". Go grab a copy at their bandcamp...
Here's a really great collection of one second video clips from the first round of the Montblanc Beauty of a Second short film competition, where entrants are asked to demonstrate beauty in a second of film. The competition is still open, so anyone with a beautiful second of film should enter here.
I've been loving Portland band Blouse's self-titled debut album, which has been released on the excellent Captured Tracks label. Take a listen to one of my favourite songs from the album, 'Fade Into Black', which sounds like a 2011 dream-pop version of a James Bond theme.
The deadline for entries for this year's National Geographic Photo Contest
is November 30, so if you're a budding photographer with a few gems in your portfolio it's time to submit them. Photographers of all skill levels (last year more than
16,000 images submitted by photographers from 130 countries) enter
photographs in three categories: Nature, People and Places. Get onto it. Below are some of my favourite submissions so far. (via boston.com)
I've been collecting cover songs for a while now, and decided to make my first mixtape dedicated to the great art of singing someone else's song. Tracklist and download link is below. Enjoy!
1. The Morning Benders - Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
2. The Concretes - Miss You (The Rolling Stones)
3. Jacuzzi Boys - You Got It (Roy Orbison)
4. Warpaint - Ashes To Ashes (David Bowie)
5. Tennis - Tell Her No (The Zombies)
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - God Only Knows (The Beach Boys)
7. Ray Peterson - Fever (Peggy Lee)
8. Jumbonics - Last Nite (The Strokes)
9. Chet Faker - No Diggity (Blackstreet)
10. Toro Y Moi - Human Nature (Michael Jackson)
11. Pattern Is Movement - Crazy In Love (Beyonce)
12. Lee Moses - California Dreaming (The Mamas & The Papas)
13. Colossal Gospel - You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
14. The Mo-Dettes - Paint It Black (The Rolling Stones)
15. The xx - Teardrops (Womack & Womack)
16. Tashaki Miyaki - All I Have To Do Is Dream (The Everly Brothers)
17. Butch Walker & The Black Widows - In Bloom (Nirvana)
18. WHY? - Close To Me (The Cure)
Insanely talented 17 year old King Krule (formerly Zoo Kid) has just released the video for his latest single 'The Noose of Jah City'. He has such a strong presence in his videos, especially for someone so young... when he stares into the camera at the end it kind of makes me shudder a little. Another great video by Jamie-James Medina, known for all his work with The XX.